It’s official. Borderlands is indeed blasting onto iOS devices in an all-new title starring the series’ original quartet of vault hunters.
Borderlands Legends, the bite-sized take on the console blockbuster, will have players looting, leveling, and laying waste to badass slags on Oct 31 ($4.99 iPhone, $6.99 iPad).
Players will get to play as the original vault hunters; Brick, Lilith, Mordecai, and Roland. Legeds will provide a fresh perspective on the series’ signature shoot-and-loot formula – literally. Playing from a top-down perspective, you will be pitted against various classes of familiar foes — Skags, Bandits, Crimson Lance, Spider Ants — and climb skill trees loosely based on the original Borderlands. In Legends, characters possess a paired down skill tree with three action skills and six abilities, with each of the latter supporting five levels. In a neat twist, players control all four characters simultaneously and can temporarily coordinate their corpse-piling talents to unleash powerful attacks.
There is not a lot of detail available on Borderlands Legends just yet, but a few key facts we have scaveneged provide a pretty good feel for what is to come:
- The gameplay’s driven by randomized, objective-based missions
- Enemy difficulty scales alongside players’ unlimited ability to level-up
- Guns and gear can be purchased from your friendly merchant Marcus
- Just like its big brother, Legends allows lethally wounded players to score a life-reviving “second wind” with a well-placed slug.
- There will be a cover system employed to help your characters stay alive.
- There will be epic boss battles.
We really dig the idea of being able to play Borderlands while on the move, even if it is in a slightly different form. It looks as though Gearbox has done a great job of porting the game onto mobile. I guess we will have to give it a full review when it is released.
Check out the screenshots and let us know what you think?